Friday, November 30, 2007

How to Frame A Gift for Friends & Family


Gift Ideas - Hybrid Photo Frame
Instructions by Di Hickman, Creative Team Member

One of the quick and easy gifts I like to make for friends and family is photo frames. My friend Nancy took this darling photo of her daughter Bella and I decided to make a photo frame to display it.

To begin I simply scanned in the photo frame (the one I used was about 1/4 thick and scanned easily). I did this so I could get an idea of the size of the frame without measuring, I am so NOT a measuring kind of scrapbooker!
  • Once scanned I created a digital template using the scanned image. This gave me rough dimensions of the frame centre.
  • Next I opened the patterned paper I wanted to use, dragged it onto my document and used a clipping mask [ctrl G] to link the layers together.
  • I also changed the document size to 8.5 x 11" as that would be my final print size later.



Mention this ad and get free May Arts Ribbon with your first order at The Shaker Box!

  • I opened the frame I wanted to use, and
  • again dragged it onto the document, placing it in the frame opening.
  • I repeated this step with the gold paper again using the clipping mask to link the layers together


  • Duplicate the frame and gold paper layers (right click, select duplicate layers).
  • Then open the photo and drag onto the document.
  • Having TWO frame layers is important as in the end product I want the frame to be on the top of the frame and inside the frame on the photo.


The final step is taking the photo and one frame set and moving them to a clear space on the document for printing. I printed my project onto matte photo paper.


  • Once printed trim out the frame and then trimmed the rectangle insert.
  • Repeat with the photo and assemble the frame.
  • I added some traditional elements to give some dimension.


The photo frame I used for this tutorial has a magnet on the back so it can be mounted onto the refrigerator or you could attach ribbon and hang it from the wall.

Supplies: Patterned Paper: April Stalker (signs of fall kit); Frame: April Stalker (frame me - flourishy overlays); ribbon: SEI; Chipboard: Lil Davis; buttons: misc.


It makes our day when you leave us a comment! Visit our sponsors and take a moment to sign up for our weekly newsletter!!!

More Gift Ideas:
Altered Starbucks Bottles

Diva Cards & CD Magnets

Photo Tiles

Customized Shopping List

Altered Clipboard

Tranparency Gift Bag

bk_keywords: 1579906826

1 comment:

Nancywithajones said...

THAT ROCKS DI!!! LOOK AT MY BABY!!! she looks so sweet! (got yall fooled huh? didnt think so :giggle: awesoem tutorial DI! THIS ROCKS