Wednesday, October 17, 2007

How to Create a Mini-Clipboard Featuring Your Child to Hang from a Peg


Hybrid Scrapbooking Tutorial

by Amy Duquette, Creative Team Member

This past summer was a busy one for my son. One of the new activities he has taken an interest in is running. For one of the races we invited one of my son’s friends to join him and they had a blast. I wanted to make something “different” for this memory instead of just creating a layout so I altered a mini clipboard and I love how it turned out!

Ok for this project you need:
-computer (duh!)
-your favourite digital scrapbooking goodies
-white cardstock
-trimmer
-mini clipboard (6×)
-modge podge (glossy)
-paint & brush/sponge
-adhesive
-scissors
-ribbon
-misc. embellishments


Ok let’s get started. The first thing you need to do is create the image you want for the front of the clipboard. I used Traci Reed’s Urban Vintage kit and the alphas from her Hello Sunshine collab. kit. I created a 6× layout in Photoshop and then printed it out on white cardstock.




Next I made a template to use for cutting out around the clip part of the clipboard. I have bad luck with messing things like this up so to be sure making a template was a good idea.



Ya it looks a bit messy but its just a template so no need to worry. Place the template over the back of your cardstock and trace around where you cut the template. Before you cut be sure to double check that your lines will match up with the clip. Trim around the edges of your paper as well to get them rounded like the clipboard.



The next step is to paint the back of your clipoard. You don’t HAVE to, you can leave it the way it is or you could cover it with paper as well. With this step make sure you use a lot of paint on your brush or sponge and try to use long even strokes so it looks nice when it dries.




Mention this ad and get free May Arts Ribbon with your first order at The Shaker Box!

Now you wait for it to dry. This could take a while depending on how much paint you used. Make sure you do not touch it until it is completely dry or you will see your fingerprints in the paint. PATIENCE! :) it will dry.

Ok so now that we have a DRY, painted clipboard it is time to adhere the cardstock to the front. Cover the clipboard with modge podge making sure you get the edges really well so you do not get any bubbling when you put the top coat on.



Now line up your cardstock with the clipboard and stick it down. Smooth out any bubbles and make sure all your edges are stuck down. Once your layout is “stuck” you can take some sandpaper and distress the edges of your paper a little like I did or you can leave it as a clean cut line.


Now you are ready to do a top coat of modge podge. Be careful that you don’t use too much or else you may ruin your layout/photo. Same as with the paint, try and use long even strokes so that it looks nice when it dries. (You don’t have to use the glossy stuff)


And now its time to wait again. You really don’t want to rush this step. :)

Now that its all dry you can add some ribbon to the clip and use rope or ribbon to make a loop to hang your masterpiece with.



Lastly I added a flower and button to the clip so that your eyes are drawn to the photo and not the nice shiny clip!


Thats all there is to it. Experiment and have fun! If you use this tutorial please come back and post a link to your own mini clipboard, I would love to see it!!!



Note: If you found interest in any of our recent tutorials, please take a moment to be kind and leave a comment. It really makes our day! Thanks!!!


3 comments:

erin black said...

I love this project! I just wish I would've seen it last week, because I made a hybrid clipboard just days ago, and I had to figure it out myself. You had some great ideas that I will definitely use next time--like the ribbons on the clip. Thanks so much!

Unknown said...

Great idea! Thanks for the step by step photos...added to my favorites (and my to do list:))

Brandi
www.brandikaydesigns.blogspot.com

The Andersen Family said...

received a gift like this, I love it (yes I am a teacher!) and had to look up how it was made:) Awesome, thanks!