Tuesday, March 06, 2007

How to Create a Visual Triangle in Layout Design

Design Secrets: Creating A Visual Triangle
Using Three Elements
by Cammy Plummer, Creative Team Member

By keeping the number three in mind, you are using one of the most important rules of graphic design: repetition. Three is key because it easily forms a visual triangle on your page and doesn't lead to confusion. If you have too many elements and clusters, the eye doesn't know where to begin. In the following layout, I used three slashes of green, three pieces of text, and three bits of stitching.


To create this layout, I started by creating a scalloped, over-sized mat and layered it over my background.

Choose and place three elements. Repetitive elements can include a font, embellishments, shapes, a colour, photos, or text. Play with size and placement.


Add journaling, title, and drop shadows.



If you enjoyed this article, please leave a comment for our designer. Feel free to send your friends here too.













3 comments:

Blogmaster said...

I really like this design. It's most interesting and inventive.

Your readers might like my blog. Come and have a look at http://scrapbook-supply-news.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I like that you're showing examples of the 3s concept. I've read about it but it's hard to see what people talk about. Thank you for sharing this information.

Cammy said...

Melanie, I'm so glad that you're finding the tutorials useful. That's why we do what we do! Thank you for your thoughtful comment.