Thursday, November 01, 2007

Introducing Miss November, Cindy Gilchrist with a Hybrid Holiday Frame

Please visit our sponsors!

Hybrid Holiday Frame How-To
by Guest CT- Miss November, Cindy Gilchrist


The holidays are right around the corner so I thought I'd share a fun hybrid project that can serve as a great holiday gift for someone special or holiday decor for your own home.

Supplies:
  • Wooden Photo Frame
  • Digital Papers
  • Cardstock or Matte Photo Paper (to print your favorite digital papers on)
  • Miscellaneous Embellishments (I used buttons, ribbon, rub ons and a metal label holder)

I love the ease of altered art and digi papers - I love that I can print only what I need to complete a project.

When starting a hybrid altered project, that is what I do first:
  • Print only what I need.
  • I start by measuring the project, in this case the photo frame, to get the measurements of the sides of the frame.
  • Once I get the measurements, I digitally cut the shapes to the size I need in my photo editing program and then cut and paste them into an 8.5"x11" document.
  • I then think of the embellishments I will be using and copy and paste any digital embellishments into the same document.
  • I try to print everything I can on as few sheets as possible.



When I first saw the frame, I knew that I wanted to do a Christmas project and thought a Christmas tree would be a fun embellishment to add to the frame.
  • I decided to make a simple tree made from three triangles so I digitally cut three triangles from the coordinating solid paper in the digital kit I was using and pasted the three triangles into the same document with the shapes for covering the frame.
  • I also knew I wanted to put "Christmas 2007" so I made a label with this to put into a metal label holder.
  • After I had everything I thought I needed, I printed out the "pieces" onto a piece of matte photo paper.



Mention this ad and get free May Arts Ribbon with your first order at The Shaker Box!

Next comes the real cutting and pasting. This is the "before" picture of the frame above - I got it on clearance for 25 cents - It really needed a face lift!
  • I cut out the shapes and adhered them to the sides to the frame.
  • Next I cut out the triangles and backed them with chipboard so they would be sturdy and not bend.
  • I used glue dots to adhere the triangles to the frame, making a Christmas tree shape.
  • I cut a piece of brown cardstock for the trunk and used glue dots to adhere buttons to the tree for ornaments.
  • I thought the other side looked a bit bare so I added a ribbon bow with a button and some rub ons in the corners.
  • I finished by adding the metal label holder at the bottom of the frame. Now I have this:



I didn't want to wait until Christmas to use this fun frame so I cheated and added a photo from a couple of years ago to see how it will look when its in use. Here it is - my hybrid altered photo frame:




Credits: Digital papers from the Simplicity Kit by Holly McCaig, Font is Love Letters, Misc. Buttons, Ribbon by JoAnn's, Rub ons by American Crafts, Label Holder - unknown brand.

It really makes our day when you leave us a comment! Be sure to sign up for the newsletter too!

5 comments:

SarahB said...

Adorable frame! Such a fun idea!

ScrapMomOf2 said...

Congratulations Miss November! This project is fantastic!

Andrea said...

Cindy it's gorgeous :) Love the tree, it will look good on cards and tags too. xx

Anonymous said...

This frame is so cute and I think it's a great idea for personalizing an ugly clearance frame. Thank you for sharing such clear instructions.

stampingcaz said...

I love it Cindy :) that paper is stunning. Great tree, the whole thing is WOW! Cazx