Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Free Spider with Web Overlay in This Halloween Tutorial


Hybrid - How To Create a

Halloween Overlay Transparency


by Sue Kristoff, Creative Team Member

A fun way to add some dimension to your paper layouts is through the use of a transparent overlay. Pre-printed overlays can be purchased from a wide range of manufacturers, but it's quite easy to make your own as well. Since I'm looking to create a Halloween themed layout, I wanted to use a spiderweb motif on my overlay.


A quick Google search for "Spider web clip art" brought me to the Florida Center for Instructional Technology web site, where they provide clip art under general license (always look into license or copyright issues when using images found on the internet.). This image was from the book by Emma Miller Bolenius, The Boys' and Girls' Readers (New York: Houghton Mifflin, 1919). This image makes a great corner and left side element for my layout.

  • I downloaded the TIFF file from the web site (DOWNLOAD).
  • The graphic was about 10 inches tall, so I left the size as is.
  • Using Adobe Photoshop CS2, I created a layer from the background, selected the color white, and cut it away, so I was left with a black image on a transparent background.



  • I then saved the file as a PNG file to preserve transparency.

I printed the file out onto an inkjet-compatable transparency, then used it as an element on my layout!




Mention this ad and get free May Arts Ribbon with your first order at The Shaker Box!


More great Halloween Kits:
Verna Grant Spookfest

Creepy Christine's Halloween - Sophia Sarducci


Can I Be Frank? Nitwit Collection

Witches Brew by April Staker

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tutorial and the link to the spider web clipart.