Monday, November 13, 2006

Creating Custom Digital Elements for Scrapbooking


DIP Digital Tutorial for Making Custom Floral Overlay
by Beth Price, Creative Team Member




...To further the interest
of the flowers,
I decreased the brightness setting
and increased
the contrast
slightly...


In this layout, the floral overlay was created from a photo from my own garden. It makes the page a bit more special to me.

In this tutorial I tell you how I went from this pretty photo to this elegant layout using Digital Image Pro 9 to make my own custom floral overlay.



  • First be sure to save a copy of the original photo.

  • I enlarged the photo and cropped until I liked how it was framed in a 12x12 page.
  • Increase the contrast, then using Filters in Digital Image Pro, I chose “Highlight Edges”
  • Then using the color selector (magic wand) I selected some of the darker green and deleted out as much as I thought looked good to me.
  • I then went to Effects and selected transparency. Set the transparency to 50%. You’ll probably want to play around with your own image from here. You can increase the contrast more, increase or decrease the transparency.
  • To check your overlay, select “insert shape, square, and fill with a color. Place this behind the overlay and you can see the overall effect.


Supplies:

Michele Coleman: papers (Guy Thing, tutti fruiti)

Mary Ann Wise: green frame

Shabby Princess borders and frames

Kay Miller brushstroke frame

Katy Pertiet paper flower


Keywords: Advanced, Blend Mode, Creative Team Member, Custom, Digital Image Pro DIP, Photo Editing, Artistic Photo, Create Your Own Elements






1 comment:

Gen said...

Great tut.

Any idea how to highlight edges in Photoshop CS2? I can't figure it out.